Monday, March 1, 2010

Destiny

Lately I have been fighting an extraordinary amount with the concept of all things being chalked up to fate, or the contrary, coincidence. On one hand there really could be some magical power that allows these more than strange happenings to occur, but on the other, odds are some peculiar things are bond to happen in life, to everyone. For example, two nights ago I had an odd dream that I was working at Sopa Thai restaurant, what made the dream abnormal was that half of the restaurant was the gym I sometimes go to, South Yuba. Now I have not worked out in at least a week, but today I decide that it is time to go, and while there I see  a man Martin who not only works at Sopa Thai restaurant but was wearing a T-shirt from there as well. So, this could be a symbol for something larger, or it can mean that Martin goes to the same gym that I go to and out of the countless dreams I have, one or two are bound to resemble my real life one way or another. I did not interact with Martin, and nothing came of the occurrence, on top of that Martin was not even in the dream to begin with. Another example could be that three days ago Scott and I passed each other driving in Grass Valley, the following day we passed each other again, and he made the comment that we should pass each other the next day. Today driving home, a third consecutive day, I saw Scott driving. Each time we were going to and from different places, and they were at different times of day as well. Scott says it is a sign that we should spend time together, but he and I both know that the third drive-by he did not see me this time, that I only saw him, therefore if I did not text his first this time he would have been unaware of it completely. Another example could be how I have been constantly reassessing all of my thoughts and opinions on this matter, and then I go to psychology class today and the topic is whether or not there is a scientific connection happening when these acts of "fate" or "destiny" occur. But it easily could have been that I have been pondering this topic so much due to its relation to the subjects leading to today's discussion. Yet another example could be moments ago when I finished my sandwich I told myself to refrain from eating anything else in my house, although I was not completely full. Nevertheless I took a box of cereal into my bedroom with me to satisfy my unjust lingering hunger, and upon doing so I accidentally bump the box, sending a fair amount of it's crumbly content into and onto my carpet. Maybe this was the repercussions of doing as I was not supposed to, or was a sign to stop what I was doing. Or maybe the box was unopened until I opened it myself today and was very full, and I am a bit shaky and clumsy today and even hit the box in the kitchen which resulted in a bit of cereal on the floor; all simply cause and effect. Or possibly the tiny spill in the kitchen was a sign that I should be more careful, and upon ignoring that sign came the epic pouring of so much Honey Bunches of Oats onto my clean carpet. I cannot decide. I spoke in class, and stated that odds are there will be unexplained correlations because there are so many explained ones. But what if I saw Scott driving tomorrow? How do you know when a situation crosses the line of normality?

No comments:

Post a Comment