Saturday, October 30, 2010

Reassurance For The Present

She finally breaks the silence, 
among other things, 
she spoke "what are you thinking?" as if she cared. 
Foolishly I reply, honestly.
"I was thinking about how last time you got in a car accident you called me.
And I was thinking about how this time, you didn't" I slowly went on, 
clearly attempting to make such simple words more elegant, 
or maybe just less blatant really.
This time she responded, almost quick in her defense 
as if she did not like me thinking she would call anyone else, 
or did call someone else. 
Of course I knew even then that she did, 
I paid attention too closely. 
"I didn't call anyone", she began. She then told me more than I ever thought I would hear, 
maybe because it was more than she would normally tell, or because it was about me.
She said she did think of me, she was worried about what the person who watched it would say to me,
like she was embarrassed or something, 
like someone would speak badly about her, and what would I do?
It made me sick thinking about another car hitting hers, 
I think I said it was ridiculous of her to be concerned about something like that, 
but I don't remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment