Saturday, June 25, 2011

You'd Softly Speak

"In morning's first light on still folded sheets 
After the sorriest excuse for a good night's sleep 
We laid for hours that stretched into weeks 
And after each pause, we traded thoughts and you'd softly speak 
And it was faint, but I still made it out 
All my own doubts falling out of another person's mouth 
Oh, what a voice, oh, what a voice 
How I did rejoice 
In your parents' house, in your childhood bed 
I watched the rise and fall of your ribcage with every breath 
Making a makeshift space for me to rest my heavy head 
And in that place, in those quiet days, I could hear it best 
And I was calm, somehow while so distressed 
When I heard my own heart beating in another person's chest 
Oh, what a sound, oh, what a sound 
Oh, I felt so found"

No comments:

Post a Comment