Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Nothing To Do With Me


The things I love, even when it is an expression of a pure feeling or there is a vulnerability to it, I think vulnerability for vulnerability’s sake is boring. Vulnerability is a way to get to the fact that these are real feelings about what real people feel like, vulnerability is not pretty. Real vulnerability is something that we’re kind of told not to show each other because it could be perceived as weakness or it can be perceived as something to take advantage of. Real vulnerability proves to me that you’re alive and you’re a person. The world is confusing and constant and overwhelming and it’s also really beautiful but it’s also really fucked up. Life is not plain. It’s not one or another. It’s all kinds of things at the same time. I wouldn’t want to be invulnerable to that reality because I think that’s being impersonal, and intellectually and unemotionally dishonest with people, too. When I’m writing songs, I’m not thinking like, ‘I better come up with the right line that’s really gonna let them know how much I get how hard it is.’ I’m just writing. And sometimes I’m writing about me and sometimes I’m writing about something that has nothing to do with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment