Thursday, January 29, 2015

Back Into the Light

Alex taught me something, she told me many years ago in her parked car in that lot that the only thing that a certain person needs to hear is that you are not afraid of their emotions. Some people, all they could ever hope to know is that you understand, and accept, the gravity of which they are feeling, what they cannot help but feel. Alex told me that she said those words, that she was not frightened, words like that can heal a person; she watched walls come down, slowly, hesitantly, but they did. Some people are so scared of what's inside of them that they blockade, bury and hide it away, and often it's the best of them, if not the best than the truth. I want you to know that it is okay how deeply you feel, and that I do too, and when it is the worst feeling in the world, it's real, it is the truth. I am not scared, and I am accepting of you.


To you, monster:
I will love you back into the light whether you want it or not.
I will draw you to my breast when they come at you with arrows,
I don’t mind if you get blood on to my dress.
I know what you’ve done and I’ve seen what’s in your heart
and you cannot frighten me.
My heart is a reservoir, and you can claw
down through the black and the cold,
thrashing and writhing and roiling,
but you will never find the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment