Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Tie Him Up In Your Likeness

"but the way you taught me to just let it all go by."


"Once too often, I have retreated
into the depths of my despair.
I built a barricade to block you on the road.
I was standing there with all of my possessions
piled higher than a house,
I felt closer to you than you ever would have known.
So let each tiny acts of charity
be common ground on which to build
the monument that will commemorate our times."

"Now, I tell myself I've mended 
under these patches of blue sky.
There are still a few holes that let in a little rain.
And it's been crying on my shingles.
My floorboards moan under my feet.
The refrigerator is whining, so I've got reason to complain.
But I am not gonna bless you with such compliments,
some degrading psalm of praise,
like the kind that converted you to me so long ago.
Because the truth is that gossip's as good as gospel in this town.
You can save face but you won't ever save your soul, and
 that's a fact."
"All eyes on the calendar
Another year I claim of total indifference
To here, the days pile up
With decisions to be made, I'm sure all of them were wrong
Into this song I send myself
And with these drinks I plan to collapse
And forget this wasted year, these wasted years
Devoted friends, they disappear
And I'm sorry about the phone call and needing you
Some decisions you don't make
I guess it's just like breathing or not wanting to
There are some things you can't fake
I guess that it's typical
To cling to memories you'll never get back again
And to sort through old photographs
Of a summer long ago or a friend that you used to know"

No comments:

Post a Comment