Friday, January 18, 2013

Slam

I hold grudges like most people hold hands
Until they begin to sweat
And let those resentments slip away willingly 


I swore on my great great grand broken heart that I would never ever write you off
You explained why you would
Then painted me quite a lurid picture 


And every time my tongue is tied, around my finger, or anyone else's
Needless to say, it is a reminder
Of how carefully you held my voice box
How good to me you were before all was torn to sunder
Your patience like a nine hour car ride through my stutter, spit and sputter

Burying the hatchet that I had been mistaking for your ashes
I apologize for my part in getting that so tangled 

But either way, from the digging to the covering, it's painful

I swallowed you, whole, like a lump in my throat
Down into my stomach of knots and butterflies
To sit there, like gum, for seven years
Because I broke you, like the mirror you were


No comments:

Post a Comment