Thursday, December 11, 2014

I Only Laugh Like Once a Year Now

"I make eye contact with some guys because sometimes I just feel angry.
Eye contact is bad I think.
At a stoplight, I wait to cross and there are two men next to me.
They’re holding hands.
I imagine myself as one of them, standing next to me, this dipshit with an ugly face.
Later on, will one say to the other, “Hey did you see that asshole at the stoplight. Why does he live on the same earth as us, with his dipshit-ass ugly face.”
And then the other man will agree in some way, if only in quiet.
Christmas music plays from someone’s car at the stoplight and I can hear it through the closed windows.
Will I get run over tonight.
Is tonight the night of magic.
It’s totally possible that something will suddenly kill me.
And I accept that.

I always think about getting randomly hurt and how awesome it would be to just immediately be changed and removed from my situation.
To have something direct to worry about, like a broken leg or a really big cut.
I’d no longer be a person blending in.
When the stoplight signals to cross I wait to take a step until the other men walk away.
I don’t want to walk next to them.
It is horrible for me to be walking at the same pace next to someone on the sidewalk.
And like all others, these men pass me.
Now knowing that in infinite space there is a pure negative, shaped exactly like me.
With no intentions of making friends.
Insecure enough not to make friends so as not to lose them."

No comments:

Post a Comment