Tuesday, September 24, 2013

There is this subtle yet monumental injustice that I encounter far too often, and I wound just like to put it down in words, for whatever reason. People my age, do not call other people nervous. There is this blanket statement, used all day, every day, and more than a statement, worse, it is thought of as being true. People love to say that someone is an awkward person, or being awkward, or made everything feel awkward, or made them awkward. I find this to be unfair, not only because it is a watery, overused word, but another person's genuine feelings get plastered over by this day and age's obsession with awkward. I may feel nervous, maybe I make people uncomfortable. Perhaps someone was distracted, or still feeling uneasy about an event that happened earlier that day to them. Do crowds make everyone awkward? Does every single human on the face of this earth act awkward so regularly? And is the act of awkward always the same? It's ridiculous, really. It's hard for me personally because some situations make me feel shy, or embarrassed, or timid, or quiet, some situations make me talk louder and jumble my words, or run away. Everything always cannot be awkward, despite everyone's fascination, and inclination for it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment