Monday, April 6, 2015

Promises Murder Us Backwards When People Like Me Don’t Keep Them

"There were days I wanted out.
But then You would go and do things
like dive into the Vancouver ocean,
big brilliant cliché poem that You are,
water rolling off Your back
as You swam toward a sunset 
that hung like a sacred recipe painted 
all the way around Your holy head.
And then there were the ways You caught me
moving back into my cave where the wheels turn,
same wheels that drove You off.
I should have told You 
before talking in terms of Forever
that any given day wears me out and works me sour,
that there are nights when the sky is so clear 
I stand obnoxious underneath it 
begging for the stars to shoot at me 
just so I can feel at Home.
What’s left of You now is a shrine 
built from the pieces I kept of Your presence,
Your incredible stretch of presence.
It sits in Our room like a sandpiper 
cross-legged and crying,
remembering the night we met 
and the day You left, and the Light
shifting in between.
By the side of it stands a picture of the poem where I promised,
“You will never have another lonely holiday.”
The words “I Promise” and “Forever” 
begged me not to use them
but sometimes I don’t listen to God,
so You can imagine how much it hurt
to let Your last birthday pass 
with no word. August 3rd.
You weren’t the only one comin’ up lonesome.
Listen, if I had to make a list 
of everything everywhere
- and I mean everything… everywhere -
the very last to-do on that infinite list of
every – single – thing – would be – to hurt You,
so I need You to know 
that in an attempt to keep my promise 
I did write a letter to You on Your birthday. 

It was covered in stickers of flock-printed stars,
choir claps, and a bonfire of buttercups stuck in the air, 
but when I finally drew enough courage 
to send You all the Love in the World
my hand snapped off in the mailbox 
from clenching.
It was returned to me with a gospelstitch, a hope stamp 
and a note etched into the palm I had to pry open
with the pressure of pitching doves 
reminding me 
we agreed to let each other go."

No comments:

Post a Comment