Thursday, September 6, 2012

Rehearsed Indifference

     "I said “water,” expecting the word
     Would satisfy my thirst

     Talking all about the second and third
     When I haven’t understood the first.
        And she always weighed me down
        But, afraid I might need her, I dragged her around
        (It’s best to keep close sackcloth and ash in a whitewashed town)
        She wore that phony smile on her face,
        I guess like a bandage on a wounded place
        While I kept the keys to every old lock just in case.

Rehearsed indifference tossed aside,
Our narrow arms spread wide,
“What unseen pen etched eternal things on the hearts of humankind -
But never let them in our minds?”

                   Oh, the clouds, they brought a darkness
                   And a hard rain’s gonna fall
                   And all my laughter, ends in emptiness
                   And a hard rain’s gonna fall.
                   My every medicine, causes more illness
                   And a hard rain’s gonna fall
                   And until I let you go I didn’t know, you were never mine at all!

But now I spend my days in ever-increasingly complicated ways
Convincing myself of the rightness of each word I say
My exit, unfair and unobserved! My exit, unfair and unobserved! My exit, unfair!"

No comments:

Post a Comment